Monday, January 12, 2015

The Matterhorn Project Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about yourself and musical project?

My name is Zahari Tzigularov. I’ve been a drummer in various rock, metal, blues bands since high school and the guitarist of the Denver, Colorado art/progressive rock band called The Skivies for about 10 years.  I have always wanted to do a project where I write and record everything, hence the matterhorn project.

2.Recently you have released an album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

I like heavy guitar sounds so most riffs are heavy.  The album also incorporates melodic guitars, distorted synths, piano, acoustic guitars and some experimental sounds. I like odd time signatures as well. I think that comes from my heritage - Bulgarian folk music.  

3.What are some of the themes and images you bring out with your musical style?

Darkness, hope, energy, motion…

4.Most of the album was instrumental but you did add a small amount of vocals in a couple of the tracks, are you planning on using more vocals in the future or do you prefer the instrumental route?

Ya, I plan on experimenting with vocals in the future, so it would depend on whether it makes the music better.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'The Matterhorn project'?

I love the mountains and live in the foothills of the Colorado Rocky Mountains and the street I live on is called Matterhorn, so..there it is.

6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with a whole band or do you prefer to remain solo?

I would love to get this project live as I love playing live.  My band is currently restructuring, but my drummer and I have already mentioned considering bringing it live, so …will see.

7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I have not received any interest, but I do not have any interest or at least will not actively pursue that.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your album by fans of underground music?

I have not received tons of feedback yet but the album is only 10 days old, so I am still trying to get it out there.  Whatever feedback I have received has been great.

9.Are you also involved with any other musical projects or bands these days?

My last band, The Skivies, went on a hiatus for couple years.  We did write a few songs in that time and we plan on starting rehearsing and playing the new material very soon.  It would also be under a new name.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

I would love to continue producing new music under the matterhorn project.  I have tons of ideas:) I would also love to take some of it live as well as write, perform and record new material with my band.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

In the past year I’ve been listening to Gojira, Isis, Deftones, the new EP by Red Kunz, Godflesh, Mastodon, Radiohead, Pelican.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Mountain stuff - biking, hiking, skiing..

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interest and hope more people would take the chance to listen to the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment